FIRST oversees the national registration process for all teams in the United States. Once you have completed the national registration components, you will be invited to sign up in the local registration software, MyCVR.
As part of national registration, teams will pay the registration fee and order the Challenge Kit. The Challenge Kit is comprised of the mat and LEGO elements that form the competition field. Teams may order an EV3 MINDSTORMS Kit or SPIKE Prime Kit from LEGO if needed. (Full details on valid pieces and parts can be found in the Robot Game rules.)
The Main Roles
Each team has two coach roles that must be filled, and an optional Team Admin role. The Team Admin role allows a school or organization to have one contact on all teams to manage payment information and coaches. The purchaser does not need to be screened.
Each team must have two adult coaches that pass a free background check (through a third party vendor). The background check is required every three years, so returning teams may not need to worry about the background check each year. A team must have two screened coaches before Central Valley Robotics will let a team register for an event.
Coaches can complete the screening process in parallel to the steps below; however, screening must be complete to be in compliance with CVR's registration policies.
The Registration Process
The following is a brief overview of the registration process. Please direct any registration questions to FIRST at: https://www.firstinspires.org/about/contact-us
- Head to the FIRST Dashboard at https://my.firstinspires.org/Dashboard/
- Create an account, or login to an existing account. The email address is important, you will want to use the same email address in the national system, and our local system MyCVR.
- Teams should reuse any existing team numbers if possible. In MyCVR, coaches and contacts will be able to see all team results and rubrics for the history of teams.
- Follow the steps under an existing team to renew it for the existing season, and use the Team Contacts page to adjust coaches as needed.
- To create a new team, click the Create New Team button (or click the "I want to..." button on mobile). From there, select FIRST LEGO League Challenge, enter your team information and location.
- Be sure to pick Central California for the region, otherwise you will not show up in our system!
- All teams must pay the national registration fee before they can order any additional products. The national registration fee includes one (1) Challenge Kit per team. Click the Pay For Team(s) button and follow the steps on screen. FIRST supports a variety of payment options and you can bulk pay for multiple teams at once.
- Teams must pay the national registration fee, but they do not have to buy the Challenge Kit.
- Once your team has met all FIRST payment obligations, you can click the "Payment and Product" link to be taken to the LEGO Education storefront to purchase EV3 or SPIKE Prime units. Separate payments may be required when purchasing from LEGO.
- Finally, MyCVR monitors the national registration database and will send out invites to the main contacts once it sees that your team has paid the national registration fee.
Types of Registrations
FIRST has a couple of registration opens and there are some important considerations for each type:
- Team Registration: this is the traditional team registration type. Every registration gets a team access to CVR's qualifiers and other events. A school can have multiple team registrations.
- Class Pack: this option allows for classrooms to purchase supplies in bulk. The Class Pack option does not grant participation in the official CVR event structure. Learn more here.